desc Walking in Fields of Grace: How I spent Holy Week: Easter Sunday

Monday, March 28, 2005

How I spent Holy Week: Easter Sunday



Woke up at 7am, and said my morning prayers with a joyfull and enthusiastic heart. Of course! It's the day that we celebrate the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ! I was also excited to watch the Easter Cantata at Word for the World, entitled "The Lord of Light". I always look forward to their Easter and Christmas cantata every year and I make sure that I get to see them even if I'm already attending in a different Church. So Bhing and I prepared ourselves to arrive on time for the 10:30am service.

When we entered the Church, we chose to sit on the middle part of the balcony to have a good view of the play. They've made a great background, lighting and stage setup, and I see it improve every year. Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera with me so I wasn't able to take a picture of it. As we were singing songs to the Lord, I could feel the joy and celebration in the hearts of the people in the congregation. After the Pastoral prayer, the cantata began.

The voice of the choir filled the sanctuary, and it gave me goosebumps because it was so heavenly. The props and the costumes of the actors and actresses were all fascinating. I like the scene of the Triumphal Entry where the women and children (they're sooo cute!) were dancing as they welcomed Jesus and wave palm branches.

When the man who played the role of Jesus entered the scene, I was really surprised! After many years of watching Easter Cantatas, it was the first time I saw someone who played the role of Jesus and really looked like Him (well, from how we thought He looked like). His face (really, really handsome!), his height, body built, the way he moved, the way he spoke and sang (ohh..such a great voice!)... it's as if I've seen and heard Jesus in person! Well, actually I thought he was Jim Caviezel! (hehehe...I wish!)

Everyone played their part so well, that I felt like I was taken back to Jesus' time. Another scene that struck me was the one in the Garden of Gethsemane, when Jesus was praying to the Father. The man who played Jesus uttered quite a long dialog, and I'm amazed at how he memorized it by heart because I saw that he really felt the emotion going through Jesus at that time.

After watching so many Easter cantatas, I still can't help myself from being moved to tears as I watch Jesus being beaten and kicked. This cantata most especially made it realistic, with the whipping and the blood all over Jesus' body. They even did tore off Jesus' clothes that left him half-naked thus revealing his wounds. And yes, they really hanged Jesus on a cross! (Of course, without using real nails...just ropes) I was actually afraid that the cross might collapse, but good enough it was secure.

Of all the scenes, my favorite is the resurrection. I like the effect they've done with the tomb stone. There was a great light shinning so brightly beyond the big boulder of stone, with smoke coming out. Then suddenly the stone began to shook, as it moves towards the side and left the tomb open. And as the people were looking everywhere for Jesus, He suddenly appeared in His white, shinning robe! (He looked so glorious and all the more handsome) Wow! I really felt like jumping out of my seat and shouting "hallelujah!".

All of us gave our best clap offering and standing ovation after the cantata. It was a great reminder of God's love for each one of us...of Jesus' sacrifice...of His death...of what He did to set us free...of His victory! Pastor Gerry was right, the cantata was held not just to entertain us. It has a much greater purpose. For me, I was once again overwhelmed as I realized God's unconditional love for us, even if we don't deserve it. It made me look at my sins and with a repentant heart ask forgiveness. It made me rejoice knowing that Jesus is victorious over death. And with Him in my heart and my life, I too will live just as He lived.

I was so thankful and felt so blessed as I left Church. My heart is truly filled with gladness and hope. I was asked to go to work, yes on an Easter Sunday. I walked going to the office since it's just a street away from the Church. But even if a lot of tasks awaits me in the office, I felt happy and peaceful. Indeed, God's love is more than enough to guide and strengthen me as I face life's challenges. I'm already victorious because Jesus has given me the victory!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home