desc Walking in Fields of Grace: He put the song in my heart

Monday, May 23, 2005

He put the song in my heart

As a child, I grew up attending Sunday school in Church. Every meeting, I was always excited and looking forward to learn new action songs.

One of my favorite songs then, (which is still a favorite until now) is from the Kid’s Praise album entitled, “Jesus put the song in my heart”. (If you know Psalty – “that big blue singing songbook!”, then you probably can relate with me. Hehehe…) Well, I like that song not only for its upbeat tune, but most especially for its lyrics. Let me sing to you the chorus part (as if you can hear it, hehehe…)

Jesus put the song in my heart
He turned my life around
He gave me a treasure
The heart of a servant
Jesus put the song in my heart
A joyful melody
That sings of His wonderful love

He gave me His love
He sent me a song
And He put the song in my heart, yeah…

I also like the action for this song but unfortunately, I can’t show it here. Hehehe…

So what’s the significance of this song, you might ask.

I think it was about three weeks ago when our senior pastor announced the need for musicians, song leaders and backup singers for our Music Ministry. For me, it was just like an ordinary announcement. I said to myself that all I could do is to pray that many people would be touched to serve the Lord through music.

I never thought that I would be one of those that the Lord will touch. It was like a lightning that struck me. I suddenly felt that God is calling me into this ministry. But I was hesitant to respond to the calling.

Though I know I can sing (somehow), I’m still not that confident and I’m afraid that I might not be able to cope up with the standards of our Praise & Worship team. Even if I had invitations before to join the said ministry, I always say no and just tell them that I’ll just sing in Kid’s Sunday school (at least, the kids won’t mind if you get out of tune..hehehe!). But seriously, it was a struggle for me.

But then I remembered that song I use to sing as a kid. I realized that it was God who has put that desire in my heart to sing for Him. Yes, I may not be as good as others but more than the wonderful voice, God is really looking at the heart - the heart of a servant.

I was reminded of these words said to me before: “God does not call the equipped, but He equips the called.” I know I just had to obey and trust God to do the polishing. Besides, how can I say “no” to Him?

After a week, guess what??? I took a leap of faith and joined the Music Ministry! In fact, I already attended my first practice last Saturday. I was glad because they made me feel so welcome to join.

I was just surprised to see the first song in our line-up list! (Was it a coincidence?) But I think it perfectly describes what’s inside my heart. You might probably know this song…

We lift our voices
We lift our hands
We lift our lives
Up to You
We are an offering

Lord, use our voices
Lord, use our hands
Lord, use our lives
They areYours
We are an offering

I guess that's just really what I wanted to do...to offer God whatever I can, be it my voice, my hands, my life…

So if you’ve got the talent or even if you don’t, but you have the heart to serve the Lord, just do it for His Glory!

I guess, words will never be enough to describe the gladness that I felt when I heed His call. I definitely enjoyed my first practice with our Music Ministry and I’m looking forward to more practices and backup singing soon!


My first Music Ministry practice

1 Comments:

  • I listened to Kids Praise Four as a child myself (well i'm only 18 now) and I really loved listening to Psalty and Charity churchmouse and the others and I can definitely relate to you, He's also put the song in my heart. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home