desc Walking in Fields of Grace: It's how you take it

Friday, May 20, 2005

It's how you take it

I felt that I had a productive day yesterday as I left the office. Have played around the Service Editor GUI, setup sample services, successfully run the scripts and loaded them in the SIM card. I also enjoyed validating the services I created through the mobile simulator. hehehe...totally cool!

In the afternoon, I had to re-create the same services I created through the GUI, but this time using a scripting language. Uh-oh...need some coding here (reminds me of SPUD! Oh no!). I was reading the documentation of the scripting language for about 2 hours already but still can't write even just a single line of code. (how pathetic!)

I decided to take a break first so I bought ice cream (Pistachio flavor... yummy!) from Fiorgelato (a newly-opened store at the ground floor here in our building). Anet also gave me a sandwich (so sweet of her...thanks Anet!). Well, somehow I think eating helped. hehehe... I finally figured out how to write the script little by little, thank Heavens! As expected, I got some errors when I compiled it the first time. (hmmm...) I just kept on trying and referring to the documentation most of the time. After some more compilation attempts, I was able to fix the errors and finally got it working! Yehey! It was just several minutes before I left the office.

I had to leave early since it's our badminton night. We (Dadi Joey, Mommy Weng, Axel and Tabel) managed to arrive at West Drive Badminton Center (Kapitolyo) by 7pm. I figured I still have time to dress up and eat since our court reservation was at 7:30pm. As we were walking towards our assigned court after changing to our play clothes, I noticed someone playing in a court near ours. Out of curiosity I asked Tabel, "Bata ba yon?" She also noticed this small guy (about my shoulders high) in a blue shirt. Then she said, "Hindi...maliit lang sya." Hmmm...I just thought it's fascinating to watch him play.

I had sandwich and Gatorade first since I was hungry (again!). The four of them started playing already as I was doing my warm-up exercise. I didn't have much to do while waiting for my turn to play so I just practiced picking up the shuttlecock using my racket. Haven't perfected it that well yet, but the effort is paying off somehow. hehehe... After several minutes, I just decided to sit on the bench and watch those who were playing from the other courts.

Remember the small guy I mentioned earlier? I watched their group play. They were also playing doubles. As I watched him, I was amazed at how he executes his shots. He moved with so much ease and strikes the shuttlecock with his racket like an expert. Now I really believe, "height doesn't matter". hehehe...

Then I saw this young girl whom this small guy was playing with. She's just about the same height as mine, only a little slimmer. I find her energetic and it seems she was really enjoying their game. Then suddenly, I noticed something at the time when she was doing her service. Since the shuttlecock was on the floor, she picked it up using her right hand while she was also holding her racket on the same hand. I was puzzled and I asked myself why didn't she use her other hand?

This made me glance at her left hand and I found out that it was wrapped with some sort of a bandage cloth! I was not sure what happened to it, but I think it's really not in a good shape. I felt sorry for her. But then as I continued to watch her play, it seems that she was not affected by her hand's condition at all. Just like the small guy, she also plays very well!

Yes, it may be an idle time for me as I wait for my turn to play. But it also became a time for me to contemplate and realize things as I observe the people around me.

I've read in a book before, it was said (though not in it's exact words), "It's not what happens to you that matters. It's how you take it." I believe these words to be true.

Sometimes in life we get to experience a lot of smashes, drops and drive shots thrown at us. Sometimes we could return those shots like a pro but at other times we just got hit, even right on our face! Yes, those blows do hurt us and cause us a lot of pain. But what's gonna happen next? Should we just sit in a corner, pity ourselves and think that there's no more hope for us? Or would we allow ourselves to heal of our hurts, rise again and move on in life, gaining much strength and confidence from the lessons we have learned from those experiences?

That small guy could've just stayed at home and pity himself for not having a normal height. The girl with a disabled hand could just as well isolate herself and think that she will never be good enough for losing that part of her body. Yes, these same situation could happen to anybody. But as for these people, they did not allow those unfortunate circumstances to hinder them from becoming the best person that they could be and from experiencing life to the full. They have chosen to respond differently, and they've definitely made the right choice!

It's true, you don't always have control over your circumstances, but you do have control over your response to it. - "It's how you take it!" (",)

2 Comments:

  • Alam mo Doths... dapat parati may mga posts ka na ganito... namumulat ang mga mata ko sa kagandahan ng mundo eh. =D

    By Blogger tabel, at 7:14 PM  

  • Ngyehehehe...Salamat po sa comment. Sige, hayaan mo...try ko pa mag-observe sa badminton court next time. Baka sakaling may magandang realization ulit na mag come up. hehehe! (",)

    By Blogger Doths, at 6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home