desc Walking in Fields of Grace: It’s Mom’s Day!

Monday, May 09, 2005

It’s Mom’s Day!

I woke up on a beautiful Sunday morning and greeted my mom with a “Happy Mother’s Day, Ma!” She’s already preparing breakfast. Then I heard my dad asked my mom what she would like for lunch. (Papa is the cook in the house. Hehehe…) I immediately entered the conversation even if I was a bit sleepy. I said, “Lunch tayo sa mall mamaya after Church.” They were both surprised, but happy to hear my suggestion.

We attended Church at 9:30AM. I have no teaching schedule for Kid’s Sunday School yet, so I was able to attend the service. I was touched by what the Worship leader shared before she sang. Here’s the little story she shared (in my own words):

One day, the father told his son, “Son, let’s go out for lunch. You can order whatever you want, and we’ll get it.” The child was very happy! He said, “Wow, Dad! That’s great! Can we go now?” The father replied, “Sure! Let’s go to your favorite restaurant.”

When they were already at the restaurant, the child ordered all of his favorite dishes…chicken, spaghetti, french fries, ice cream… name it! Then while the child was already eating, his father asked, “Son, can I have some of your fries?” His son was silent for a moment, as if thinking. Then the son finally said, “Ok dad, but you can get only one.” The father was surprised at his son’s reply but decided to take just a piece of french fries. After some time as they were eating, the father probably liked some more of the fries so he reached to get some more. As he was doing so, his son noticed it and when the father’s hand almost gets hold of the fries, the son slapped his father’s hand! The father was shocked and dismayed at his son’s behavior.


It’s a sad story, actually. I felt guilty after hearing that little story. It’s true…sometimes we behave just like the son in the story does. God owns everything and He provides for our every need. But sometimes, when He asks us for something… could be our time, our talents, our service, money, possessions, etc. we just don’t want to give it to Him. We deprive Him of what He has given us and what actually belongs to Him in the first place. It made me think, “What if God decided to just get all of the things that we have right now?” I hope we would not wait for that to happen. I’m really glad that He’s a loving Father, who is very patient with us and understands us even if we’re stubborn most of the time. I hope that through this story, we’ll be reminded to give God the best that we could give. After all, He always gives us the best.

Just before our Pastor (who happened to be my dad, scheduled to preach that Sunday) gave his sermon, he called for all the moms in the congregation to stand in front. The Youth ministry prepared something for the moms. One of them read a beautiful Tagalog poem entitled, “Ang Anghel ng aming bahay”. It was quite a long poem, there were some funny parts, but it’s really touching especially in the end. After that, they gave a little token to all the moms – a cute coin purse (that mom’s can use when they go to market) and a little bookmark. Finally, our Pastor prayed for them.

The service ended at around a little past 11. After having some conversation with friends, we all headed to Southmall. There were quite a lot of people dining since it’s already lunchtime when we arrived. But I don’t even have to ask them where they want to eat. Both my parents liked the food from Chowking, so we had our lunch there. They both ordered braised beef, my sister had chicken and I got beef chao-fan w/ dumplings. Our meal can’t be complete without the pork/beef siomai, kangkong w/ bagoong (my favorite! yummy…) and of course, halo-halo w/ ice cream (cool!). We had a wonderful time over lunch.

As we were strolling in the mall, we passed by Storyland. We got curious because there were a lot of moms there. We found out that they have a special treat for moms. So my mom registered and picked a piece of paper from the bowl. She got some vitamin-C as prize. Probably that’s for me because I still have colds. Huhuh…

After picking mama’s prize, we went inside the arcade and I bought some tokens. I challenged my sister to a car race. It was a tight race, but I managed to get ahead during the last remaining seconds. I won! Hehehe.. I then challenged my dad. He was ahead at first, but I was able to get pass him in the middle of the race. I maintained my lead but unfortunately, I miscalculated my last turn so I slightly bumped on the side of the track. That gave my dad the chance he’s been waiting for. So there, he won by just a few milli-second. Hehehe…but that’s ok.

I challenged my dad and sister again. This time, basketball. Dropped our tokens, pressed the Start button and we begin! We had one minute to shoot as many as we can. I really miss playing this! And just as I expected, my dad got the highest score with 57. I was second, having 44 points and my sister last, with 31 points. It was a nice game!

We were waiting for the air hockey to be free but it looks like the kids playing don’t want to give others a chance. Oh well, that’s fine. Unfortunately, my mom doesn’t want to play any of those we tried. So I just exchanged a bunch of 1 peso coins and my mom played in the Jungle Jam - it’s the one where you drop 1 peso coins so that the coins inside would be pushed out. The main goal is to release or drop as many coins off the little platform. You’ll get tickets in exchange. We all tried playing it and with our joint effort, we managed to get almost a hundred tickets! Yipeeee!

It was already 2:30pm and my sister had to leave already since she has work at 5pm. My dad wanted to go home already. He’s worried because our dogs haven’t eaten yet, also because he’s already sleepy. But my mom and I didn’t want to go home yet because it was so hot outside. So, I asked them if they want to watch a movie. My mom said yes but papa said he’ll just fell asleep inside the movie house. I told him it’s ok. =)

So we went to the cinema and I bought tickets for “Kingdom of Heaven”. We still had to wait for 30 minutes for the next screening. Good thing, there’s a coffee shop (Coffee Experience) near the cinema so we just sat there and I bought them coffee. I had a choco fudge chiller. Tastes ok, but Starbucks frap still tastes a lot better.

My dad’s already asleep even during the trailer part (tsk, tsk…) and he slept during the first half of the movie. At least he saw the spectacular fight scenes. Orlando Bloom played his role well, but I still like him better as Legolas in LOTR. My mom said she didn’t quite understand the movie. My dad told me he didn’t understand the movie either. Hmmm… I wonder why?! Hehehe…

And that’s how we spent Mom’s Day. I was just glad to be able to go out with my family again. We haven’t done that for quite some time already. Even if my mom didn’t say it, I know she’s happy. As for me, I’m just happy to see them happy. =)

1 Comments:

  • Hi Arman!

    Wow! thanks for your comments. =)
    Yup, my father is already a Pastor. He just graduated last December. But late have I also realized that I'm already a Pastor's daughter. It just didn't sink in that fast. hehehe...

    Thanks for dropping by my blog. God bless! (",)

    By Blogger Doths, at 2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home