desc Walking in Fields of Grace: A Day with Dad

Saturday, June 18, 2005

A Day with Dad

It’s an early Father’s Day celebration for us. It’s been a while since I last spent my Saturday mornings with my dad.

I miss those times when we wake up at 5am and jog around the village with our dog “Spot”. But most of the time, we went out of the village and reach the nearby highway. If I estimated it right, we’d jog for about 3-4 kilometers. And once we get back in the house, sometimes my dad would teach me some Martial Arts just before we do our cool-down exercises. I remembered one time, he was teaching me how to use the umbrella to defend myself from an attacker. As he was doing the demo to me, he unintentionally hit me quite hard on my knee! Ouchhhh!!! That really hurts (huhuhu…) But anyway, I forgive my dad even if he sometimes forgets I’m a woman. Hehehe!

I think I got my interest in sports from my dad. We get along so well in that aspect. We've always planned to play badminton on Saturdays but for some reason, we just couldn't make it. But last Saturday, we made sure that we'll spend our morning in a badminton court near our place. It’s the first time we played badminton together in a real court. We usually just play in the street (hehehe…). My mom went with us but didn’t want to play. She just watched us and she also enjoyed watching the kids having Taekwondo lessons near our court. My sister didn’t go with us since she’s really not the sporty type. Besides, she said she still had to practice her song number for my friend's wedding on Sunday. It's gonna be her first time to sing in a wedding that's why she's quite nervous.

So, it was a one-on-one game with my dad for almost 2 hours. Whew! It was quite tiring but we both enjoyed the game. My dad is also quite good in badminton since he used to play tennis before. But unfortunately, he lost in all of the games we had (modesty aside, hehehe…) I think the badminton training is effective. Thanks to Jonathan! My dad promised he’s gonna beat me next time. Hmmm... let’s see… hehehe!

After freshening up, we had an early lunch at the nearest fast food which happened to be Mc Donalds. Oh, I think I ate quite a lot. I’m always hungry after playing badminton (Tabel can attest to that. Hehehe…) My dad is quite health-conscious but I guess he ate quite a lot that time, too. (haha!)

After lunch, we passed by the grocery store to buy some stuff. Then my dad went home bringing the groceries, while I accompanied my mom to buy her shoes for the wedding.

When we got home, I attempted to practice the guitar lessons assignments that Sherwin gave us. I got a little frustrated when I can't seem to tune the guitar. When I finally gave up, I asked my dad to tune it for me. He tuned it in no time at all. Yey! You see, that's what dads are for. hehehe... Then, it was time to have a little jamming with my dad.

After our guitar session, it was time for him to cook dinner while I watched Pinoy Pop Superstar. My dad enjoyed watching the show, too. When the defending champion, Harry Santos rendered his song ("Vincent"), I was totally amazed. He has this Josh Groban sound. I so love his voice and my dad also made a comment that he has a great voice. He sings simply but so sincerely. I was still confident that he'd win that night, and he did! Yes, I could hear him sing again next week.

I surely had a great day with my dad. I'm so thankful to God that he gave me a father like him. I know he's far from perfect but for me, he's still the best! (",)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home