desc Walking in Fields of Grace: A Debut

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

A Debut

Time flies so fast. This little girl that I once see attending Sunday School has just turned 18 and has bloomed to be a beautiful, fine young lady. Her name is Junliza. I've known her to be very active in Church eversince. She's a member of the Youth Ministry and now, she's also a part of the Music Ministry of our Church in Manila.

I got the invitation for her debut just last Sunday. It was simple yet elegant, having her picture in front. When I opened it, I saw a familiar lyrics of a song. I was glad because it's also one of my favorites. The song is entitled "I Promise", performed by Jaci Velasquez. If I'm not mistaken, it's a part of the musical play called "True Love Waits".

I've heard this song years back, and since then it became my promise to God also. Let me share some of the words from this song.
So I promise to be true to You
To live my life in purity
As unto You
Waiting for the day
When I hear You say
"Here is the one I have created
Just for you"

Until then, O Lord
I will be content
Knowing that true love
Will come someday
It will Only come from You

I'm glad that a young lady like Junliza is making this same promise to God - to wait for God's Perfect Choice (GPC - got this term from Chay. heheh!) as well as for God's perfect time. Sometimes we find it so hard to wait. But as one quote says, "God is never too late, nor too early, but just on time." So I opt to trust God in that area. Because I truly believe, He makes all things beautiful...in His time. And as for me, I just know one thing is for sure - whoever my GPC is, I know he's definitely worth the wait! :)

Last night was indeed a lovely night, especially because of the debutant herself. I didn't have such a party during my debut (well, that is by choice. hehehe) but I can feel and I can see by the look in her face how happy she is for having her family and friends to celebrate that very special occassion in her life.

Good thing, the attire is just semi-formal, so I need not wear a gown or something. hehehe... My sister and I arrived at the venue at around 7:30pm. The party has just started. After several minutes, it's dinner time! Yehey! I was actually quite starving already. It was a bountiful dinner and the food was just everywhere!


Me and the Debutant

While we were eating, Hadassah, one of the emcees approached me and said, "Ate Doths, kasali ka sa 18 songs, ha." I said, "Ha?! Ano yun?" Then she told me that it's also like the "18 Candles" but they changed it a little. So instead of just lighting a candle and saying a wish to the debutant, we had to think of a song that will serve as our message for her and then give a some sort of an explanation why we chose that song. I was like, "What?! Kelangan talaga kumanta?" (hehehe!) She insisted and I think I just didn't have a choice. So there, I was thinking of a song the whole time as I was having dinner.

I finished eating but still haven't thought of any song. (huhuhu..) After some 15 minutes, I know I had to think of something because we will be called in a while. So I decided to just sing a Jaci Velasquez song too, since it's a favorite of the debutant as well.

I think I was the 10th person to be called for the "18 songs" and I was so nervous the whole time. I'm just not used to sing solo. (hahah!) Before I sang I was joking with my friends and I said, "Sorry ha, hindi ako nakapag-practice and hindi talaga ako prepared. By the way, here's my minus one." They were all laughing at me! Then all of a sudden, I heard the emcees called me. Oh no! here I go. I told Junliza that I really hope the words of the song will be like her prayer to God. I sang the chorus part of the song, "Imagine me without You":

Imagine me without You
I'd be lost and so confused
I wouldn't last a day
I'd be afraid
Without You there
To see me through

Imagine me without You
Lord, You know it's just impossible
Because of You
It's all brand new
My life is now worthwhile
I can't imagine me without You

I told her that as she continue in her life's journey, I hope that it will always be her heart's desire to be with the Lord and to always experience His presence. That she would really say, "I can't imagine myself without You, Lord." Because I believe that with God by her side, no matter what circumstances come her way, she will never ever go wrong.

She gave me her sweetest smile as I end my speech and I was glad to see that she liked the song. Just not sure if she liked my voice too, hahah! The emcees commented after I sang, "Ate Doths, hindi halatang hindi ka nag practice ah!" hehehe...

Had some more chats with my churchmates from Manila that I've never seen for quite a long time already. It was a wonderful time for me.


Jaja, Jen, Jhune, Me and Ara

At the last part of the programme, the debutant gave a song number and made her thank you speech, with tears flowing down her cheeks. Well, those were tears of joy. I'm sure everyone enjoyed the party. Sufficing to say, it was definitely an unforgettable night not only for Junliza, but even for all of us who are dear to her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home