desc Walking in Fields of Grace: Going Places on a Friday Night

Saturday, July 23, 2005

Going Places on a Friday Night

At Ephil’s Table Tennis Championship

Last night was a Friday night with the Ephil folks once again. I was glad to be invited by the committee to their Table Tennis Tournament Championship. I was still in our office at around 5:30. I already got a YM message from Angie telling me to go at Ephil. Beng also texted me saying the same thing. I was able to leave at around 6 p.m.

As I entered the Enterworks office going to the Documentation team’s area, Jon Church saw me. I smiled at him and he greeted me as well. I was a little nervous when he started talking to me though I know he’s really a kind man. He asked how I was doing and I told him I’m very much okay. I was a little surprsised when he said, “I hope you’re still here when I come back.” Uh-oh…Apparently, he thought I haven’t resigned yet. So I told him, I’ve already transferred since last May and was just visiting Ephil every now and then. I saw that he was also surprised by what I said. Then he said that I’m always welcome to visit Ephil whenever I have the chance. He wished me well as he gave me a pat on the back. All I could say was “thank you” as I smiled at him once again.

When I entered the vacant area where the championship is being held, the QA girls were already waiting for me. Mommy Weng, being the responsible and loving mom that she is, reserved food for me (yey!) But I wasn’t able to eat yet since I went with my team mates for merienda.

I was glad to see many of my previous colleagues being awarded for their hardwork. They truly deserve those awards and I’m hoping for them to receive more of those in the coming product releases. It was also a wonderful time watching the championship matches and exhibition games. I’m proud to say that many have improved a lot in playing compared to last year’s tournament. And I think any Ephil event wouldn’t be complete now without hearing a song from Arman. He gave a beautiful version of the song “Leader of the Band” while David played the guitar (a good guitarist as well, I should say). I realized there were a lot of talented people at Ephil. It’s good to see them coming out and sharing their talents. Due to insistent public demand, Don also gave his own version of the same song (which I think is one of his favorites). It’s nice to hear him sing, too.

At around a little past 8, Mommy Weng and I accompanied Tabel to Ortigas where she would be attending a Leadership Seminar. As we were riding Tabel’s car going to Emerald Avenue, I can’t help sometimes to talk a lot about the said seminar. Mommy Weng and I already took it and we certainly enjoyed and learned a lot from it. We’re just very excited for Tabel and so sometimes we really had to hold our tongues so as not to give anymore information just to keep the element of surprise for Tabel.

At OCCI

Tabel was actually late for the seminar. But we managed to arrive at Emerald Bldg by 9pm and so she was still accommodated by the OCCI staff. And besides, she got permission from Ma’am Mimi to be late. By the way, Ma’am Mimi is one of the facilitators in the said seminar.

It felt good to be back at OCCI. There’s such a very positive atmosphere in that place. And just as always, we feel so welcome there. When Tabel was done with the registration and a little orientation, Ma’am Mimi approached us and had a little conversation with her. She’s glad that Tabel could come. Mommy Weng and I left when Tabel entered the seminar room.

At the Sebastian’s Residence

We took a cab going to Mommy Weng’s house. We were welcomed by her kid’s (Juwan, Jin and Jaira) upon entering. Mommy Weng’s mom and Daddy Joey’s dad were also there. Mommy Weng invited me to eat but I was still quite full from the pancit, barbeque and chips I ate while watching the games. And so she had dinner while I play with the kids.

Jin enjoyed telling me a story from his Toy Story book. Jai was joining us from time to time. But this little girl enjoyed standing and jumping from her small chair much more than reading the book (hehehe…) She’s very energetic. I’m surprised because she was so sweet that time. She came to me and even sat on my lap to cuddle her.

Juwan and Jai slept early but Jin still had a lot of energy. He brought his “bop-it” toy and we had so much fun playing. He’s in-charge of the “spin it” and “pull it” while I took care of the “flick it”, “twist it” and “bop it”. It was a challenging game and it was a lot more fun when played with someone like Jin. His laughter is contagious (hehehe…) and he would say “Oh, man!” everytime it’s game over. (cool kid!) We both enjoyed playing it.

It was already 11:30 p.m. and Tabel hasn’t arrived yet. Mommy Weng and I went outside their house and sat by the sidewalk to wait for Tabel. We talked about a lot of things. Hmm…I would surely miss those moments once she goes to the States. (Oh no, this is making me cry.)

Finally, Tabel arrived at exactly 12 midnight. She doesn’t look so happy when she went out of the car. Oh well, she has her reasons. But Mommy Weng and I have full confidence that the seminar would help her a lot. We just had to make sure she’ll attend the coming sessions.

We bid Mommy Weng goodnight and goodbye as we went back to the office.

Back at Ephil’s office

It’s good to see Jhie and Mayumi Figueroa (a.k.a. Shaui) once again. Hehehe…But honestly, that’s a lovely name sis! You should give that name to your future daughter. (“,) We saw them at the back of the building with Nikki, Ces, Jay, Bimbo, Nicko and Bimboy. The girls are planning to have coffee at Starbucks.

It was Auggie’s birthday celebration when we came back. They were enjoying the music and the drinks. I was feeling quite sleepy already and starving as well but still decided to stay for a while. Good thing, they ordered pizza. I had 2 slices and a soda.

When I saw Chel, I asked her if Beng was still around because I know she’ll be leaving for Singapore. Chel told me that she was there earlier, but already left at around 10 p.m. since she still needs to pack some of her stuff. Oh no, I didn’t even have the chance to say goodbye and wish her well. Hmmm…Maybe, I’ll just send her an email.

I reminded Tabel to do her assignment for their next seminar session. So we went to her area and I watched “Batman Begins” from her laptop as she worked on her assignment. It was already past 1 a.m. that’s why I was already so sleepy. After some 15 minutes of watching, I felt my eyes already wanting to close. So I told Tabel that I’ll sleep for a while and to just wake me up once she’s done with her assignment.

She woke me up at around 2 a.m. We left the office with Dennis L. and they dropped me off at my cousin’s house in Pedro Gil.

At my cousin’s house

It was almost 3 in the morning when I reached my cousin’s apartment. I realized I’m really not used to Friday night gimmiks. My eyes seem to have the Cinderella curfew. It could only be so alert upto 12 midnight (hehehe…) But really, it was an enjoyable evening for me…a nice reward for a week’s work. (“,)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home