desc Walking in Fields of Grace: Turning the pages of “The Notebook”

Monday, August 22, 2005

Turning the pages of “The Notebook”

When I saw my sister so engrossed reading this book by Nicholas Sparks several weeks ago, I was reminded of Noah and Allie as I read about their love story a couple of years back. It was really a touching one, which caused me to shed tears just like in any other Nicholas Sparks novel that I’ve read.

I’ve never seen the movie, though. I just wish I wouldn’t be disappointed because experience tells me, the book is always better than its film counterpart. Take “A Walk to Remember” as an example…hhhmm...I guess the movie is okay but the book is a lot better.

Coincidentally, Tabel told me that Angie has a copy of this movie (The Notebook). Wow! Just what I’ve been looking for. My sister and I watched it yesterday afternoon. It’s quite different from the book but nevertheless, it’s good that it didn’t lose its touch.

Apart from the not-so-wholesome scenes (hehehe…), I love the story. I’m amazed at Noah and Allie’s genuine love for each other. A kind of love withstanding the circumstances, the time, their distance apart and even social status. A love so unconditional that not even any disease could tear it apart. Just like how a review puts it, the movie “expresses just how two people can stay committed to each other their whole lives, no matter what. It is a beautiful story that clearly affirms marriage, love and lifelong commitment between a man and a woman.”

I’m amazed at how Noah expressed his love for Allie even if they’re miles away. Just like all the letters he sent for every single day for an entire year and the house he built for Allie, just the way he promised her it would be.

But what really touched my heart was the fact that Noah stayed at Allie’s side as they grow old together and especially during the time she was suffering from a heartbreaking disease. It’s like I’m feeling the pain that Noah was experiencing all those years when the woman he loves so much doesn’t even recognize him. (Oooppss sorry…I might be spoiling the story for those of you who haven’t read or watched it yet.) But I think it’s his genuine love for his wife that made him endure all the pain…the same love that he so unselfishly gave until the very end.

Actually, Noah reminded me of the Bible’s definition of Love. “Love is patient, love is kind…It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres…Love never fails.” It is this kind of love that his life manifested.

Hmmm…It makes me wonder now if there are still “Noahs” out there. (hehehe…) Well, I’d like to believe they still exist. (“,)

As I end this entry, allow me to quote these lines (my favorite) from this novel.

"I am nothing special, of this I am sure.
I am a common man with common thoughts and I’ve led a common life.
There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten,
but I’ve loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me,
this has always been enough."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home