desc Walking in Fields of Grace: Festival of Praise

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Festival of Praise

We got free tickets to a Festival of Praise celebration featuring a well-known Christian singer and song-writer Steve Kuban, the Kaloob Singers of Day by Day as well as the Angklung and Pimi Ensemble. It was held at Folk Arts Theater last Monday night.

We arrived there at around 5pm (an hour before the concert starts). There were already a lot of people lined up at the entrance.


Tita Nancy took some shots of us as we’re waiting in line.

just can’t wait to get inside


the moms modelling the tickets


family picture? Hehehe…

The line started moving at exactly 6pm. As we entered the theater, I noticed that the ushers were all wearing Filipiniana costumes. They looked really good! They also handed everyone some souvernirs – a bracelet (called a “destiny bracelet”) and fan (containing informative facts about our country and Israel).

wearing my destiny bracelets

Each of the beads, pearl and the Cross has a particular representation. They say that this bracelet is not magic, nor a goodluck charm. It’s not for identification for the entire world to see. But simply to remind me that Jesus loves me and He prepared my destiny in heaven eternally. It is a simple reminder to me of the fact that I am a Christian no matter where I may be. I don’t usually wear bracelets but I think I would often wear this one, just like I’m wearing it now. =)

When we have chosen our seats, we noticed two thin bamboo sticks placed on each seat. We didn’t know its purpose at first, but then we realized it will be used during the praise and worship. I think it’s just a creative way of clapping. But more than that, Ms. Grace Gupana (the host) explained that it has a biblical representation as written in the book of Ezekiel.

Praising with our sticks

It was a different praise and worship experience for me. Though all the Tagalog songs we sang were somewhat familiar to me, what made them special were the great worship leaders and choir singing to the Lord from their hearts, as there were men and women wearing really beautiful and elegant Filipiniana costumes gracefully dancing! I wished I was one of them that time. Hehe… I just wasn’t able to take their pictures because I was so concentrated. =)

We’re also given flags designed to be a combination of our flag and that of Israel’s. Ms. Gupana also explained its significance. What I like best was when she said that just like Israel, our country is also a chosen nation. Just take a look at the title of our national anthem – “Lupang Hinirang”. She shared a lot of other informative facts that really amazed me. I’d like to share those in another blog entry just for that topic.

Philippines’ and Israel’s flags combined

We then sang a very touching song declaring that our One True God is the God of the Philippines. It gave me goosebumps…

Waving our flags as we sing “Diyos ng Pilipinas”

For me, it was also a night of fascination and sincere appreciation of our rich culture. I was so amazed to see and hear the children as they played the Angklung, Pimi, and a lot of our other indigenous musical instruments. The audience was cheering out loud especially when they played “Sitsiritsit-Alibangbang”, “Leron-Leron Sinta”, “Jesus loves me” and even an early Christmas treat “Jingle bells”.

They also played one of Steve Kuban’s famous song, “For The Lord Is My Tower”. They sounded really great using those instruments! I can see how Mr. Kuban appreciated the kids playing his song. It makes me all the more proud to be a Filipino. =)

Angklung and Pimi Ensemble

Then it was time for Steve Kuban to take the stage. I’ve known him for his famous songs that we usually sing in Church. It was only then I knew that he wasn’t an American but a Canadian. The kids made him dance the “Tinikling”. He did it without any hesitation, and he was so funny as he was dancing it. It looked like he enjoyed the dance just as we enjoyed watching him. hehehe…

Though he said he lacked sleep, he still took the stage away by performing at his best. He surprised us with his first song which was a Tagalog song, “Halina’t Purihin and Diyos”. Believe me, he memorized it by heart. Then it was followed by another one of his famous songs, “My Life is in You, Lord”. Everyone was in dancing mode!

Mr. Kuban singing a Tagalog song

We all declared victory with his song “For the Lord is my Tower”. He even taught us some choreography! I really enjoyed that part. =) All the more dancing followed when he played, “Lord I lift Your Name on High”, with a “Reggae” beat. He did the same song, this time in a “Samba” tune. And really, he played the keyboards sooooo well!

Angie and I went near the stage to take a closer shot of him. Just then he started singing another all-time favorite song of his, “The Seven Ways to Praise the Lord”. But it was the first time I heard it with a “Cha-cha” beat. Angie and I learned some Cha-cha steps as we immitated the dancers in front. Really cool!

At last, I’ve taken a closer shot of Mr. Steve Kuban. I really went at the edge of the stage just to take this shot. I was hoping though that the camera man wasn’t there. Hehehe…



Steve Kuban singing “7 Ways to Praise the Lord”

It looked like a long night of celebration, but we decided to leave at around 9 pm since we still have to travel back to Cavite. Though we wished we could hear more from Steve Kuban. Oh well, maybe on his next visit here. I’m sure he will be coming back again soon because I’ve seen how he loves our country so much.

I truly thank God for the wonderful opportunity to be there. More than taking pride in the richness of our culture and heritage, that experience made me realize that no matter what circumstances and difficulties our country is facing right now, there is still hope for us. And that hope can only be found in Him Who is the Way, the Truth, the Life, the Prince of Peace and our Almighty God. Yes, our hope can ONLY be found in Jesus.

“If My people, who are called by My Name
will humble themselves and pray
If they seek My face and turn from their wicked ways
I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins
And HEAL their land…”
(2 Chronicles 7:14)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home