desc Walking in Fields of Grace: Emcee stint at SSCDC

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Emcee stint at SSCDC

For the second time I was invited to be the emcee at SSCDC pre-school. The first event was during their Foundation day celebration a couple of years back. This time, I’m doing the same job for their 3rd Commencement Exercises and Recognition day.


No, I’m not doing this as a sideline. It’s just my way of helping and supporting a good friend of mine, Ma’am Marlyn. She was my teacher back in grade school. Since then, we became good friends even after graduation. She’s like a big sister to me. I’ve always been grateful for her kindness and especially for all the advice she generously gave. Until now I’m still amazed at the fact that we’ve never lost contact even after more than a decade. I think if there’s one important thing I’ve learned from her, it’s about sincerely valuing your friends and keeping them for life no matter how time or distance separated you from each other.

Ma’am Marlyn opened this pre-school 3 years ago with her twin sister, Evelyn. But she still teaches full-time at Diliman Preparatory School. I’m just glad to see her now as she fulfills her dream of establishing her own school.


This morning, I had to leave the house at 10 a.m. though the event would start at 4 p.m. I promised to help in putting up the decors aside from I also have to runthrough the programme and script.

Half an hour passed and I was at SM Bacoor. I had to pass by the department store to buy make-up. (yes, you got that right) You see, I don’t have them at home since I don’t really use them except on special occasions. I suddenly wished my sister was at home so I could just borrow her kikay kit. Problem is, I’m not really sure how to use them. Hehe… Thank God, the sales lady was kind enough to assist me on which make-up to buy. She even taught me how to apply them.

Took a quick lunch at Chowking and then went straight to the mini-bus station going to Tanza, Cavite. I wasn’t really sure where to got off so I texted Ma’am Marlyn for directions. Good thing, the landmark she gave was easy to recognize. I got off at Jollibee Tanza and took a jeepney going to Trece. I guess it took me two hours travel from our house going to Gen. Trias.

Ma’am Marlyn wasn’t at the venue when I arrived. But her sister-in-law, Ate Melony welcomed me graciously. I waited for some time and after a while I got a call from Ma’am Marlyn asking me to proceed to their house, which is just walking distance from the venue.

Thea, Thalia and Christian (Ma’am Marlyn’s nieces and nephew) welcomed me happily as I entered their home. How much they’ve grown after just 2 years of not seeing them. Their faces were brimming with cheer as I handed them their pasalubong. With her cute little smile Thalia automatically said, “Tenchu Tita Doths!” She wasn’t speaking yet when I last saw her, that’s why I’m quite surprised to hear how talkative she is right now. She’s become a smart little girl.

We’re all dressed up by 3 p.m. and immediately proceed at the venue. I asked for a photo before the program started. Also with us were two co-teachers of Ma’am Marlyn, Sir Edison (the guest speaker) and Ma’am Beth.


At a little past 4, the program started and my job began. I was still a little worried that my voice would crack since I had this sore throat since Tuesday. I just kept a bottle of water beside me all throughout the event. Good thing, the program flow was smooth, as the kids knew how to behave well. You’d even be amazed to see these smart kids participating in the program. From leading the National Anthem and opening prayer to the welcome address and pledge of loyalty. Their teachers surely did a good job.

My favorite part in the program was when the kids rendered a special song to thank their parents as they gave them flowers and chocolates. It was definitely a touching moment, but I was doing my best to hold back my tears. I’m not sure if they would like a red-eyed, sniffing lady for an emcee. Hehehe…


I was surprised when my name was called in the middle of the program. Nope, it wasn’t because I forgot my script nor my cue. It was a wonderful surprise from Ma’am Marlyn and Ma’am Evelyn as they handed me a plaque of appreciation and a thank-you gift. And how much I loved the flowers! Of course, they’re pink roses. :D I didn’t get those gifts when I first did my emcee job back then. Hehehe… But that’s ok.


The program ended with every parent, child, teacher and even the guests feeling happy and proud. I took the chance to chat with some kids and even posed for a photo as the food was being prepared. It always makes me feel younger every time I’m with them. :D


I spent some time to help fix some stuff after the event. At around 8 p.m., I bid goodbye to Ma’am Marlyn, to her twin sister Ma’am Evelyn, to the 3 adorable kids and to the rest of their household. For the second time, I surely enjoyed my emcee stint. I rode the bus going home feeling happy and fulfilled. (",)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home