desc Walking in Fields of Grace: The “Home Planet” Experience

Monday, May 22, 2006

The “Home Planet” Experience

Four years without being there, without experiencing it, already made me miss this beautiful thing…this wonderful crowd…this awesome experience. I remembered being here as a young child, one with many others who were just as enthusiastic on each and every day of this special week. As I was growing up, I began to appreciate the experience of teaching those who were younger. I started to look forward every year for this event. That though happening only every summer, I still expect each opportunity to present something great and new. Heeding to the call was never easy. At first, fear and hesitation creeps in. Then finally, courage has found its roots to stand upon. Gone are the days of working silently in the background. Now, I stand as a leader – one who's taking the challenge and is grateful for the joy and fulfillment of being a teacher in this Daily Vacation Bible School adventure.

Two months preparation never sounded enough. Quite true. Thank God for His grace, filling the shortcomings and limitations that we have. This day marks the start of another great adventure called “Home Planet”. Kids from ages 3-12, calling themselves Planet Savers, Planet Pals and Planet Rangers, made a commitment to take on this jouney as they learn to take care of God’s creation. Leading them are the teachers and volunteers acting as Forresters and Nature Guides, committed as well to keep these kids on the trail.


Knowing that I could share my time only for today due to work reasons, I grabbed every chance I could have to be with the kids. Armed with a Bible, manual and all sort of colorful visual aids…Groomed with a nature guide hat and face paint, I sat in our little room with much cheer and excitement, as I find myself surrounded by the youngest ones. Eyes filled with wonder and amazement gazed at me as we took the trip through the “7 days of Creation”. Smart young minds answered each of my questions correctly. Creative juices emerged while they worked with their little hands on the day’s craft activity. I cheered with them, as they raced to put together the pieces of the monkey-eating-eagle puzzle. And we surely enjoyed every beat of the music we danced with.


One young boy approached me excitedly towards the end of our session and said, “Teacher, ang ganda po ng mga ginawa natin! Bukas po ulit ha.” He smiled and waved at me as he left. In an instant, I felt as though all the exhaustion from the previous days of preparation faded away. It just saddens me that I couldn't be with them upto the last day. But truly, little words of appreciation from kids like John, or from parents telling how they learned too even while just sitting at the back, were more than enough for a reward.


More than the time spent on removing smudges and stains on hands covered with glue or paint, accumulated while trying to make those visual aids look beautiful and catchy. More than the feeling of a growling stomach that skipped a meal in exchange for a clean and beautifully-decorated kids’ room. More than the late nights spent studying each Bible story lesson. More than the mess spilled all over your shirt and jeans while serving snacks. More than the dirt and sweat you felt after an energy-consuming game. More than the trouble you get into while hushing a little kid who just outbursted with a loud cry for no apparent reason. More than the thought of how silly you looked as you demonstrated those action songs. More than all the things you’ve given or given up, combined. The VBS experience definitely outweighs them all.



Looking forward to next year’s DVBS journey! (“,)

1 Comments:

  • ilagay kita sa link ko grace
    nagtuturo rin ako sa mga bata eh
    xtian living

    By Anonymous lhen, at 8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home