desc Walking in Fields of Grace: Selfless love

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Selfless love

We just had our last session for our Worship & Music class this sem. It was actually not like the "last day of meetings" in class I had back in college. Last week, all of us decided to just spend this day in celebration and thanksgiving. Our very good instructor, Ms. Roce, said that it would be a night filled with music and good food.

Indeed, it was. We started the class with some kind of liturgy, each one assigned to either pray, read Scriptures, or sing a worship song. Ms. Roce played the keyboards while Patrick was on guitars. As for me, I was asked to read several verses and to sing the final song for worship. It was the song that I previously taught in our class entitled "Live to Worship" (by Joy Williams). We all felt God's loving presence in every song and Scripture read.

At the end of our worship time, Ms. Roce spoke a few words. But for me, (and I'm sure even for all of us) this moment will never be forgotten as long as we live. Ms. Roce said that for months now, God seems to be speaking to her heart to bless her students. During these months, she's also been studying about "tithing", and she said that tithes should be given to God's people. Finally, she told us how much blessed she was to see all of us, her students, faithfully serving the Lord in each of our churches, even if we are unappreciated sometimes. With tears in her eyes and with the most beautiful smile on her lips, she said that she is blessing us by giving her tithes which she faithfully saved. Nobody could even utter a single word from any of us after hearing this. And as I glance around, I could see my classmates truly touched and just like me, wiping tears from their eyes also. Needless to say, all of us were indeed overwhelmed by Ms. Roce's expression of loving-kindness. Still speechless from what our teacher did, all of us couldn't say anything but our sincerest, "thank you so much, ma'am".

After this very touching moment, while still wiping some tears, Ms. Roce announced that it was time for the feast! The girls took care of ordering pancit lukban from Buddy's (really yummy with the sauce and vinegar!). Drinks were on John while the rest of the guys brought rice and crispy tilapia. Actually, this was Raymund's especialty. It reminded me of Recipe's version of crispy tilapia. We've found out that it took him 6 hours to cook them since they had to go through all the process of boiling, baking, grilling and finally deep frying. Imagine! It was indeed a labor of love. Ms. Roce is sooo generous and ordered chicken inasal for everyone. She also brought ice cream for dessert. Everyone was full to the brim and there were still some more food left to share with the guards and maintenance personnels afterwards. It was indeed an early Christmas in October. :D

After the class dismissal, I approached Ms. Roce to once again express my sincerest thanks and gave her my warmest hug. She said, "thank you too, Dorothy." I smiled at her and left the room immediately, afraid that tears might flow from my eyes once again.

As I went home, I was still contemplating on what Ms. Roce did for us. I know she's not receiving that much with her salary as a teacher and the money that she gave us might not be that much as well. But I could feel that overflowing love accompanied with that envelope she handed. She showed us what selfless love is like - the kind of love Jesus gives, which do not ask for anything in return. As I go to bed, I've been asking God what to do with the money that Ms. Roce gave. God was quick to answer, that I already knew what to do with it - "pay it forward". And that's exactly what I would do.

It was a great blessing to be in Ms. Roce's class, a great start for this school year. I have learned so much from the knowledge and wisdom she shared in our every discussion about Worship and Music. But she has definitely taught me a lot more. I will never, ever forget her act of humility and kindness. Truly, she has inspired me to become the kind of teacher who doesn't only teach from books, but one who inspires and teaches her students from the heart, giving a part of herself and loving them regardless of what they do or who they are, but just so unconditionally.

(",)

p.s. I'll be posting the pictures soon. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home